Friday, June 1, 2007

Rhubarb Cake



Rhubarb Cake

1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 egg
1 t. vanilla

1 t. baking soda put into:
1 cup buttermilk (put a little white vinegar or lemon juice in measuring cup and fill with regular milk and let sit a while)

2 cups flour

3 cups chopped rhubarb or 2 cups rhubarb and 1 cup strawberries, fresh or frozen.

Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Cream butter and sugar and salt
Add egg and vanilla and beat well
Add buttermilk/soda mixture
Blend in flour until smooth
Add rhubarb/strawberries
Pour into well-greased 9 x 13 pan
Sprinkle with topping mixture
Bake at 350 F. for 45 minutes.

This is a really delicious recipe I've made many times since I found it on the internet in 1999. Tried and true.

3 comments:

  1. oh my goodness me this sounds simply scrumptious. I love rhubarb. I shall have to have a go at this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a rhubarb cake recipe on my blog also ... ingredients slightly different but they look same and I bet they taste the same ... delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.