Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sunday Supper - Custard and Coffeecake




This is a perfect fall supper, and as comforting as one could wish. The custard recipe is my mom's. I copied it out years ago, and that piece of paper has all sorts of squiggle marks on it from my now 25-year-old daughter who was "helping" me bake it one day when she was very small.

Usually custard calls for scalded milk, but I never bother.

Custard

In the mixer:
Beat 4 eggs until light and fluffy.
Add 3 cups milk and beat some more.
Add 1/4 cup honey.

Pour into eight custard cups.
Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Add maybe 1/2 inch or more water to a 10 x 15 pan.
Put custard cups into the water.
Bake in preheated 325º oven for about 45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

1 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs

2 cups flour
3 t. baking powder
3 t. baking soda

1 cup sour cream

Topping (and filling):
1 cup chopped nuts
3/4 cup sugar
2 t. cinnamon

Grease a 9 x 13 pan. Preheat oven to 350º.

In the mixer:
Beat the butter, add sugar and eggs.
Add the sour cream.
While this is mixing, combine the flour, baking powder, and baking soda and add to mixer.
Mix well.

Pour 1/2 the batter into the pan, sprinkle with nuts, sugar, cinnamon combination, add the rest of the batter, and top with the mixture.

Bake for about 40 minutes.

12 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering! Thank you for sharing these recipes. Now that cold rain has settled in for a long stay, the warmth of meals like these will lift our spirits. I'm heading to the kitchen now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I KNOW I have to make this for my husband. He loves custard and the coffee cake looks yummy. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now my stomach is growling even more than before! That coffee cakes looks divine. I love Sour Cream Coffee Cake!! I like custard too, but not sure if my family does or not, maybe I'll make this and try it on them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum. YUM! Fabulous dinner, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love custard - and that coffee cake looks yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipes (and mouthwatering photos!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's my kind of dinner! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks so yummy, will have to try it. I make a corn pudding in fall time that is a custard like dish with corn in it. Very new england-like food

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely must try the coffee cake recipe. It looks perfect for fall. You are so sweet to share!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't tell you how pleased I am when you are excited about recipes. I love sharing them. If you try this one, or any others, I'd love to hear how it turns out; how you liked it; what you did differently. That's the real "joy of cooking" to me - the connection between cooks and bakers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, do you ever know how to make Sunday Supper! I would love to come over to your place, on most any Sunday. It would be wonnnnderful! Yummmmmm....

    Mari-Nanci

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! Looks delish! Thank you for letting me know...clearly I have a lot of your wonderful blog to catch up with...

    Best, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for coming by to check it out, Catherine. This is one of those recipes I never, ever change. :<)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.