Monday, December 3, 2007

The Joy of Baking/Barney's Brownies


Barney's Brownies

This recipe is from Aunt Bee`s Mayberry Cookbook by Ken Beck and Jim Clark. The name of the brownies in the cookbook is "Bullet Brownies," which comes from the fact that Barney carried only one bullet in his pocket. I've chosen to rename them after the deputy himself. The note to the recipe says,"Be sure to eat them one at a time."

These are very simple to make. You can whip them up in no time. I made them this evening while listening to jazz on Public Radio. They are very tasty.

Barney's Brownies

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
4 beaten eggs (I use 3)
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Grease a 7 x 11 pan with cooking spray.
In a saucepan, melt the butter.
Add the sugar and cocoa, and blend well.
Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients, stirring well.
Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake in a 300-325 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. It's funny but I'd never heard of the TV series 'Mayberry' until we happened on the town of Mount Airy just off The Blue Ridge Parkway, in 2005. We wandered into their tourist information office and the whole place was based on Andy Griffith's career and Mayberry. It was quite surreal. This book, of course, reminded me of that and how wonderful and welcoming the staff in the office were and how amazed that two English people had just wandered in off the street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did not take much to tempt me! I stopped in my tracks and went downstairs to make these. They are cooling on my stovetop and we can't wait to try them with coffee when they are cool enough to cut them. YUM! My house smells so good so I thank you.

    ~~ Heidi ~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Cath, that is a wonderful story. I think Mayberry was actually the later name, when some of the stars of The Andy Griffith Show had left. Excellent show.

    Heidi, that is the funniest story! I just love to think of you going right down to make the brownies. Were they good? :<)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.