Thursday, March 13, 2008

Book Report/The Case of the Left-Handed Lady

The Case of the Left-Handed Lady
by Nancy Springer
unabridged audio read by Katherine Kellgren
young adult mystery, 2007
finished 3/13/08

Last night I felt like a child again; specifically the child who holds a flashlight under the covers to read when she is supposed to be sleeping. I didn't hold a flashlight, but I did listen to 4 1/2 audio tapes (4 1/2 hours!!) under the headphones, while Tom slept. I thought I'd just listen a little bit, but honestly I could not stop. I had to know what was going to happen next in this adventure of Enola Holmes, the younger sister of Sherlock and Mycroft. The book begins where The Case of the Missing Marquess left off. I'm not going to give many details because to do so might give away something from the first book. This is one series that really should be read in order. I suppose you could pick this one up and read it first, but you would have missed the richness of the first story, which told us how Enola came to be where she is now. Again, we learn a lot about Victorian London - definitely not a time or place I would like to be. Nancy Springer does a tremendous job bringing the reader into the mind and heart of this fourteen year old girl. I have to keep remembering that in those days, children that young were often working, and 'childhoods' were not what they are now.

I think you will love this young Enola, and I'm quite sure will read the book as eagerly as I did. It is worth it to be a little tired today. After all, I spent the night in 1880s London, having all sorts of adventures alongside our heroine.

4 comments:

  1. OK, I have both the Enola Holmes books you have read checked out of the library. I couldn't get them on tape, but will enjoy them in book form. I'll let you know what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to find these books. They sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of these. Will definitely have to look into them seeing how much I'm enjoying the Mary Russell series.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.