Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Quote du jour/Mrs. C.W. Earle


Half the interest of a garden is the constant exercise of the imagination.
Mrs. C.W. Earle, Pot-Pourri From A Surrey Garden (1897)

Isn't that the truth! And look when it was written - not 1997, but 1897. Amazing, and how wonderful that some things really, really do not change. I walk around my garden, and I see things no one else can see. Though the daylilies are just leaves, I see the flowers. Where someone else sees grass, I see a new garden. A row in the vegetable garden is bare, but I see the annual, "cutting garden" flowers there. My imagination is always working, even in the winter. Happily, this book is available, and I'm going to buy it. I wish I could have found a picture of Mrs. Earle, but the book cover will have to do.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nan: I am the same, and I think this is the best way to live life. Instead of seeing things in black and white, it is, in my opinion, much better to look at life through those famous rose coloured glasses.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover of that book! I once bought a pair of Victorian rose prints like that for my grandmother. They were really very tasteful and elegant like my Sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.