Monday, June 2, 2008

Author meme

Tara tagged me for this one, and here goes:

The guidelines:

-Answer the questions as you see fit. Although they’re all phrased to ask about a singular author, feel free to respond with multiples, or even a list.
-Where possible & convenient (you don’t have to go as crazy as I did!), include a link here or there to an author’s website, your review of one of their books, or a review that inspired you to try the author(s), so your readers can get more information on anyone that sounds interesting.
-Tag five people and drop by their blogs to let them know you tagged them, or open-tag your readers.
-It would be nice if you included a link back to your tagger.

1. Who’s your all-time favorite author, and why?

P.G. Wodehouse. If he were the only writer I ever read, or who had ever written, it would be enough. There are those who say he is second only to Shakespeare, and I guess I would say, equal. His wit, his wisdom, his humor, his incredible capacity to keep all those characters and threads of stories straight make him a genius. I'm one of those that think humor is much more fun and maybe even harder to write than tragedy. A lifetime isn't long enough to spend with this man.


2. Who was your first favorite author, and why? Do you still consider him or her among your favorites?

Beverly Cleary, and interestingly enough, I've just gotten Henry Huggins to read (again) on audio. I love this series, and the Ramona series, and all the others. I own quite a few from when my kids were little. I wrote her a letter when I was thirteen, and she wrote back! I do still love her books.


3. Who’s the most recent addition to your list of favorite authors, and why?

Over the past few years, there have been many new (to me) authors I now love. First and foremost is Rick Bragg. I don't think anyone can touch him when it comes to a good story, well told, with excellent words and sentences. His writing takes my breath away.


Another man whose writing I absolutely love is John Mortimer. His Rumpole stories are perfect, period. I also think his autobiographies are excellent, and I love his Summer's Lease. And he keeps writing, just as Wodehouse did into old age. Long may he live!


A writer I discovered a while ago, and whose books I adore, is Raffaela Barker. Her Hens Dancing, and Summertime are two of my favorite books of all time. I love her depiction of family and rural life.




4. If someone asked you who your favorite authors were right now, which authors would first pop out of your mouth? Are there any you’d add on a moment of further reflection?

The same ones as in question 3. Others I didn't list because it would make this post endless are Miss Read, Virginia Woolf, Gladys Taber, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Alexander McCall Smith, David McCullough, Reeve Lindbergh, Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, William Faulkner, Alan Titchmarsh, E.M. Delafield, D.E. Stevenson. You see what I mean? :<)

5. Instead of tagging anyone, I'll just say, if anyone reads this, and wants to offer their own lists, please do so.

7 comments:

  1. I got tagged, too! I changed it to Southern Authors though. *putting spell on people to read more southen writers* Man I don't think I could single out any author as my all time favorite. :) I don't want to hurt the others' feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for doing this Nan! I enjoyed your answers and especially the photos you included. I think Rick Bragg has a new book coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered your blog and can't believe how many of the same authors we both like! I'll be visiting you regularly. (P.S. - I found you through a link on Amy Kane's Atlantic Avenue blog.)

    Thanks for brightening my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well now I have a few new books to check out! I'm especially interested in P.G. Wodehouse - is there anything you would recommend for starters?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think any of my living ones would feel offended by choosing Wodehouse. As Bill Murray says in Groundhog Day, not THE god.
    Tara, it is out, and I own it. I'm going to read it for Maggie's Southern Book Challenge. My daughter already read it, and loved it. She thinks he is just the best writer.
    Jill, thanks so much!
    Colleen, you couldn't go wrong with The Code of the Woosters. Bertie reminds the reader of past adventures, and many of the most famous characters are in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy, aren't we eclectic? :<) Taber and Faulkner in the same breath!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how I love PG Wodehouse - though I haven't read one of his for ages. Such a shame how neglected he is - I think he's punished by his prolific output. If he'd only written six books, they'd be hugley well-known; since he wrote 91...!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.