Sunday, November 16, 2014

Pizza Crust


I just checked back and, geez Louise, I haven’t done a Weekend Cooking post since March 2012! 

Recently a friend of mine on Facebook shared a pizza crust recipe from here. The first time I made it, I followed the directions exactly, but last night I changed a few things, and it was so easy and delicious that I thought I'd add it to my letters.  

Pizza Crust

Put 1 Tablespoon baking yeast in 2 cups of warm water. Add a little sugar (maybe a teaspoon). I do all my rising in the oven with the oven light on. It gives just a bit of heat, and is away from drafts.

In a bowl mix 5 cups white flour with 1 Tablespoon salt. Add 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil.

Add the risen yeast and stir well. I didn’t knead it. I just stirred it really well and covered it with a damp towel and let it rise in the oven for about an hour.

I floured my marble board and kneaded the dough. I divided it in two, and spread it out on two pans greased with cooking spray, one a round Fiestaware pizza pan, and the other a cookie sheet.


I topped with tomato sauce. The recipe is here which was actually my last posting for Weekend Cooking. 

I added grated cheese to Tom's pizza. The cheese in our house is Seriously Sharp Cheddar. As I have mentioned before I am not a cheese fan, so my pizza is always sauce and veggies, though this time I didn't have many on hand, just some red and orange peppers, and garlic which I gently sautéed. 

They baked for about 20 minutes. Tom’s was done faster than mine, so next time I’ll either use two cookie sheets or two Fiestaware pans.


I’ve posted recipes for pizza crust here and here but this is the one I’ll use from now on. It is so simple to make, and the taste is perfect. 


13 comments:

  1. Oh yum! Although I must say I'd prefer Tom's with the cheese. Lots of cheese please. Is cheddar cheese in the states orange or white? Our cheddar is generally orange; we'd use mozza and parm for a pizza, with a dash of ADL medium cheddar. (that's a PEI cheese)
    The pizza dough I make is pretty similar, but I use the bread machine to do all the work, because yeast and kneading scare me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is sort of a pale yellow. no coloring. honestly, the yeast/kneading for this recipe is not scary. you cannot fail. promise

      Delete
  2. Yummy! You know, I've never made my own pizza dough. Might have to try this recipe next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this could not be easier. you may never buy dough again.

      Delete
  3. It looks yummy, and sounds easy enough. There is no oil in my pizza crust, just water, and like you, I don't knead the dough until after it has risen. My pizza crust recipe is from my Sicilian family (my first husband was Sicilian and I spent every summer on the island for 10 years). The recipe is on my blog, if you are interested - the post is called "Pizza for Dummies" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a pizza crust recipe that we always make, but now I'm curious about this one. I need to expand my crust repertoire! I'm for Mozzarella and Parm for my pizza. Welcome back to Weekend Cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love to share recipes that are delish and easy, and this one fits that bill. i think you'll like it. thanks for the welcome back. i'll try to be around more often.

      Delete
  5. I'll try this one - it looks simple and delicious. Thanks for the recipe Nan!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.