Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Zucchini Cocoa Cake

The photo simply does not do this cake justice! It is one of my favorite, favorite chocolate cakes. Almost a year ago today, I posted a chocolate zucchini cake recipe, but it is a little different from this one. This is a smaller recipe for a smaller pan.

Zucchini Cocoa Cake

1/2 cup melted butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 scant teaspoon salt

3 cups grated zucchini

Preheat oven to 350º F. and spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
Mix together first four ingredients.
Add next four ingredients, and then add the zucchini last.

Bake for about 40 minutes.

I frosted it with a sour cream frosting

1/4 cup soft butter
1/3 cup sour cream
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder! I have a recipe, too, and want to make it this summer. I'll hit the farmer's market this weekend and buy a bunch of zucchini. Mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is a memory from the past for me and I am so glad to have it again. I love the Bill Richardson quote on the side of your page ... it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious - tempting me to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful. I am hoping for a glut of zucchini shortly, so I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds good! Like GeraniumCat, I am also hoping for a glut of zucchini soon. If I ever get one, I'll try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Les, just once you're going to make it? :<)
    Becca, I never had it until a few years ago, and it is just the best! Thank you for your comment on the quote. I love it, too, and it seems to suit me. :<)
    Booksplease, be tempted no more. :<) You'll love it.
    Geranium Cat and Tara, I hope you do get a glut. I never do, but keep waiting. It seems that zucchini is the joke of the garden world- people giving it away in the dark of night, etc. But I never have enough. I could eat it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our zucchini isn't as prolific as most years but when we get a lot I'll be making this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great, Cath! Please do let me know how it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom used to make an amazing chocolate zucchini cake! I miss zucchini (and raspberries), when I can find it here it's about $2 for one tiny small one!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I was just looking at the zucchini I just picked, and wondering what the heck to do with it all. Thanks for this yummy-sounding suggestions!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.