Sunday, November 8, 2009

Library Loot/November 8




Hosted by Eva and Marg






I've brought home Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont a couple times, but haven't had a chance to read it. I have been told the film is wonderful, but I really want to read the book first. This will be my second book by Elizabeth Taylor. I wrote about the first one here.

I read about Marcia Williams' My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright at Darlene's blog, and was enchanted. I left a comment asking if she had read Raymond Briggs' Ethel & Ernest (a wonderful book which I highly recommend) and she wrote back suggesting When The Wind Blows.

Addendum: My Secret War Diary is one of the best 'J' books ever. I read about a third but quit because I wanted to read my own book. I wish it had been around when my kids were younger. I didn't read the Briggs book for the same reason. And I wasn't in the mood for Mrs. Palfrey. I believe this is the third time I've brought it home, and I think I have finally realized that I just don't want to read it.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Nan, thanks for suggesting these books...I will definetly check these out. Hope all is well in New England as we approach Thanksgiving...

    Best,
    Kary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love the movie Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont, but had never thought to track down the book. Can't wait to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nan, When the Wind Blows is wonderful (albeit devastating)! Try and track down the DVD too, if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kary, I so look forward to reading each of them. The weather is amazing here today- upper 50s and sunny!

    Aisling, I plan to watch it as soon as I finish the book.

    Paperback Reader, I'll check out the dvd when I finish the book. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nan, Taylor writes very well, but I couldn't help finding Mrs P. a little depressing. Hope you get on better than I did. My favourite Taylor is Blaming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vintage Reading, I have the feeling that it will be sad. I've written down your suggestion of Blaming. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.