Saturday, April 29, 2017

Got To Go Back sung by Van Morrison

I wanted to end my April poetry in songwriting with Van the Man. I think he should be taught in college poetry classes. I've spent a fair bit of time this afternoon at YouTube trying to decide which song to post here. There are some wonderful videos of him singing. I'm sorry this one isn't a live performance, but it is one of my very favorite songs by Van. "Keep me away from porter or whiskey. Don't sing anything sentimental, it'll make me cry." I just love these words.



When I was a young boy
Back in Orangefield
I used to look out
My classroom window and dream
And then go home and listen to Ray sing
"I believe to my soul" after school,
Ah that love that was within me
You know it carried me through
It lifted me up and it filled me
Meditation, contemplation, too

[Chorus]
Oh we've got to go back
Got to go back
Got to go back
Got to go back
For the healing, go on with the dreaming

Ah there's people in the street
And the summer's almost here
I’ve got to go outside in the fresh air
And walk while it's still clear
Breathe it in all the way down
To your stomach too
And breathe it out with a radiance
Into the night time air

[Chorus]

Got my ticket at the airport
Well I guess I've been marking time
I've been living in another country
That operates along entirely different lines
Keep me away from porter or whiskey
Don't play anything sentimental it'll make me cry
I've got to go back my friend
Is there really any need to ask why

[Chorus]
With the dreaming
With the dreaming
With the dreaming


Songwriters: V. MORRISON
Got To Go Back lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group

I just found out that he was knighted last year. Here is a little clip. 


Van is featured in my letters quite a few times. If you are interested, just type his name into the search bar.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Nan. Lovely reminder of the poetry of his words. I used to play him continually when I lived in London and had to drive a long way each day through the thick of the traffic, it helped! Good to see your daffs are up now, mine are long over and a sudden frost nipped a lot of promising buds two nights ago. The garden is already recovering though, unstoppable at this time of year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan - thank you so much for this. It made me think about decision times in the past, and now.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.